Private Equity Research & Portfolio Associate Partner
No Recruitment Agencies Please!
Aon are currently recruiting a Private Equity Research & Portfolio Associate Partner to join our team in London. The Private Equity Research & Portfolio Associate Partner will be primarily responsible for helping drive results for our clients by delivering innovative and effective solutions as part of Townsend,an Aon Company’s (“Townsend”) team in London.
Our private equity research team aims to identify investment opportunities with the potential to perform well in the future and who can add value to our clients’ portfolios. The array of asset classes we research for our clients is constantly under review and encompasses all sub categories of private equity and private credits.
This role will be responsible for leading the execution and delivery of Private Equity consulting materials and advice to institutional clients, specifically pension funds, plan sponsors, endowments, and foundations for European, Canadian, and US mandates. As an Associate Partner, Private Equity you will report directly to Head of Research for Private Equities.
The position will also play a significant role in marketing activities intended to develop new consulting relationships. The position requires the design, coordination, preparation and delivery of consulting assignments, as well as participation in manager research efforts.
The FCA's Senior Managers & Certification Regime (SM&CR) applies to Aon from December 2019 and this role is subject to the relevant requirements of the Regime. The primary aim of SM&CR is to drive individual accountability for all roles within the Financial Services Sector. Aon must ensure those in senior roles, with the potential to cause significant harm to customers and the business of the firm, are deemed to be fit and proper at all times and also to ensure everyone working in the sector adheres to a set of Conduct Rules and are held to account where they do not meet the right standards of behaviour.
Headquartered in London, Aon Plc is a leading global professional services firm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions. Our 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries empower results for clients by using proprietary data and analytics to deliver insights that reduce volatility and improve performance.
Aon is an equal opportunities employer. Aon's recruitment and selection policy ensures the best possible skill mix of colleagues and the highest quality candidates are appointed using objective job-related criteria.
About the Role
Your impact as a Private Equity Research & Portfolio Associate Partner:
Be a key member of our global research team covering primarily European based managers or focused funds in addition to the overall private equity industry.
This includes but is not limited to:
- Demonstrate initiative and ownership of client and research-related work;
- Exhibit strong knowledge of private equity investment vehicles and industries as well as investment theory/practice and the ability to apply this knowledge to client work;
- Ability to manage and deliver complex work and client projects without supervision.This includes making presentations to and dealing directly with clients on most Aon Hewitt advice without assistance/presence of a Partner;
- Provide leadership that contributes to the success of the research area;
- Assist in the specification, evaluation, selection, and on-going improvement of the firm’s investment research analysis;
- Represent the firm to investment managers by establishing, coordinating and maintaining investment manager relationships within a defined universe of managers/products;
- Author client and consultant communications regarding investment / investment manager developments;
- Apply good judgment and appropriate follow-through with investment managers, trustees and clients;
- Efficiently manage internal resources to allow for effective handling of multiple projects for multiple clients/consultants simultaneously;
- Coach/mentor junior professionals and maintain constructive relationships with others in the firm;
- Support the firm’s activities in general. Provide proactive and creative support to firm leadership and clients;
- Participate in and contribute to the success of marketing activities;
- Participate in the preparation and delivery of RFP responses and new business presentations;
- Acting as the primary point of contact for a selection of investments / managers, and having the knowledge needed to be able to field any private equity related questions with respect to those products / managers;
- Supporting other members of the private equity research team in various projects / research
- Memorializing insights developed on managers via our database;
- Communicating and challenging team views on a range of investment products;
- Work closely with the other Townsend and Aon Hewitt research areas.
- Communicate with and present to institutional clients showcasing Townsend’s research capabilities as well as the overall firm’s thought leadership; and
- Contribute to the creation of thought leadership pieces.
- Responsibility for working in accordance with the Aon UK Limited Risk Management Framework, and compliance with the Aon UK Limited policies, including participation in the management of risks (including completion of mandatory training) that may adversely affect the business, interests or reputation of any Group Company.
Your knowledge and expertise:
- Progressive investment experience evaluating private equity investment managers and variety of investments including primary funds and co-investments from an equity, debt or investment banking type of position;
- A solid foundation of finance and investment theory and practice, including performance measurement and attribution analysis;
- Completed or working towards completion of CFA designation;
- Thorough understanding of the institutional investment industry and investment processes, ideally through direct experience in fund management, investment consulting, or previous position as a investment / manager researcher;
- Knowledge of techniques used in valuation, security analysis / fund selection and portfolio construction;
- Comprehensive understanding of investment risk metrics and their application in portfolio management;
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills.Recognizes problems and responds, systematically gathers information, sorts through complex issues, seeks input from others, addresses root cause of issues, makes timely decisions, can make difficult decisions, uses consensus when possible, and communicates decisions to others;
- A self-starter; proactive; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; asks for help when needed; develops innovative ideas and recommendations for improving work; challenges the status quo;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent presentation skills;
- Problem solving skills. Able to break down problems into smaller components, understands underlying issues, can simplify and process complex issues, understands the difference between critical details and unimportant facts;
- Excellent planning, organization and time management skills;
- Experience with pension funds, plan sponsors, endowments, and foundations desired;
- Ability to work independently on a variety of projects, receive instructions from a number of people and meet project deadlines;
- Influential, persuasive and stretches for higher levels of performance; effectively delegate’s responsibility and authority; leads by example; manages conflict; administers firm policies uniformly; inspires confidence and respect within practice area and the firm; a mentor to junior team members;
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment;
- A proactive “research orientation”.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) is required, preferably in Finance, Economic, Math, Business or related discipline, or equivalent years of industry experience;
- Completion of MBA or CFA is preferred; and
- Commitment to professional development, demonstration of ongoing education in the field of Investment Consulting and Manager Research specifically in the Private Equity and or Infrastructure asset class(es).
Salary and Benefits
This role offers a competitive salary and bonus, plus a comprehensive benefits package and 25 days holiday. Through our flexible benefits, you will also have the opportunity to choose additional benefits, including healthcare and additional holiday. We also offer tremendous potential with a growing worldwide organisation.
Our Colleague Experience
Every day, our colleagues make a difference, work with the best, own their potential, and value one another. Together, we share this one purpose: to empower economic and human possibility around the world. This unifying goal is at the heart of our identity, and it lives in everything we do. To learn more about our colleague experience, visit Aon Colleague Experience.
We’re happy to talk flexible working. If you need to flex your working pattern, Aon offers flexible and agile working policies and we’re happy to discuss options with you upon application