DB Pension Consultant
Aon are currently recruiting a DB Pension Consultant to join our team across the country. The DB Pension Consultant will be primarily responsible for assigned portfolio of clients - will be a key consultant and client or service manager with the potential to lead on clients over time.
Headquartered in London, Aon Plc is a leading global professional services firm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions. Our 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries empower results for clients by using proprietary data and analytics to deliver insights that reduce volatility and improve performance.
Aon is an equal opportunities employer. Aon's recruitment and selection policy ensures the best possible skill mix of colleagues and the highest quality candidates are appointed using objective job-related criteria.
The UK pensions landscape is evolving at a rapid pace. Economic challenges, legislative change, an ageing population and asset volatility pose a wide variety of risks and challenges to pension schemes. Trustees and scheme sponsors are faced with a range of decisions on difficult topics from managing risk to improving member engagement, setting an investment strategy to managing DC plans.
Aon Retirement Solutions’ market-leading capabilities and award-winning expertise make us the perfect partner to help clients through their pension challenges. We can provide integrated and comprehensive solutions across actuarial, plan administration, investment and insurance disciplines, enabling us to serve our clients' unique needs every step of the way.
About the Role
Your impact as a DB Pension Consultant:
- Developing relationships and familiarity with your clients, being seen as a key contact by your clients.
- Participating in client meetings, presenting advice and leading on some items with support from more experienced colleagues, You will have the opportunity at meetings to answer clients' questions and be involved in discussions.
- A key focus at this role level is delivery of high quality work to our clients on time, and on budget. As an effective project manager you will need to be able to manage expectations of both colleagues and clients to achieve this. Client queries will be dealt with quickly and accurately, either by answering them yourself or by forwarding them to an appropriate colleague. Where you need to pass queries to a more experienced colleague, you will be able to use their involvement/support as a learning opportunity.
- Often you will be working with more experienced colleagues to deliver advice. However, you will be focused on the requests from your clients to drive what advice is produced, and how this is done, rather than needing detailed guidance from colleagues.
- You will have key roles on smaller clients, working alongside a Client Manager; on our larger clients, you may be acting as the "number 2" or "number 3" consultant.
- Suggesting ideas and options on your clients, working with more senior colleagues to develop such opportunities.
- Where actuarial work is being prepared for you by supporting teams, you will need strong skills at analysing the results and conclusions of calculations, and be able to provide concise summaries for more experienced colleagues and for clients.
- You will have the opportunity to network within the local market, both with potential clients and other professional contacts.
- You will build an understanding of the range of services that we at Aon can offer, and which colleagues to talk to where further expertise is needed on a particular subject. You will need to be comfortable in taking active steps in a supportive environment to build your internal network.
- You should be able to explain difficult concepts to colleagues when delegating work, and brief them on the work required, so they can deliver the required work efficiently & within any budgetary constraints.
- You will play an active part as a role model in developing other colleagues on your client teams.
- Responsibility for working in accordance with the Aon UK Limited Risk Management Framework, and compliance with the Aon UK Limited policies, including participation in the management of risks (including completion of mandatory training) that may adversely affect the business, interests or reputation of any Group Company.
Your knowledge and expertise:
- You will have a solid grounding in the UK pensions consulting environment, across a range of situations and clients, including experience of having prepared a range of technical advice.
- Detailed knowledge of the legislative and regulatory framework for UK pensions and strong attention to detail.
- The ability to stand back from detailed calculations & advice, to sense-check, draw conclusions, and see the item of work in a broader context of the client needs and the legislative framework.
- Time management skills to deliver work on time and on budget, with an ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Strong communication skills, helping you to explain complex issues to clients and colleagues.
- Confidence in expressing your viewpoint, both with colleagues and clients.
- Constructive questioning and active listening skills to build a clear and deep understanding of a client’s circumstances.
- Commercial awareness with a desire to develop your consulting skills further.
- You are likely to have a Degree and to have recently achieved a relevant Professional qualification (e.g. APMI, FIA) although these are not mandatory.
Salary and Benefits
This role offers a competitive salary and bonus, plus a comprehensive benefits package and 25 days holiday. Through our flexible benefits, you will also have the opportunity to choose additional benefits, including healthcare and additional holiday. We also offer tremendous potential with a growing worldwide organisation.
Our Colleague Experience
Every day, our colleagues make a difference, work with the best, own their potential, and value one another. Together, we share this one purpose: to empower economic and human possibility around the world. This unifying goal is at the heart of our identity, and it lives in everything we do. To learn more about our colleague experience, visit Aon Colleague Experience.
We’re happy to talk flexible working. If you need to flex your working pattern, Aon offers flexible and agile working policies and we’re happy to discuss options with you upon application