Aon Is Looking For A Pension Compliance Specialist
This position can be based in Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver.
You will help empower results for our clients by delivering innovative and effective solutions as a member of our Legal Consulting & Compliance Team within Aon’s Canadian Retirement Practice. The successful candidate will have expertise in Canadian pension law and relevant tax and employment law, be forward-thinking and adaptive, and be ready to work side-by-side with other Aon lawyers, actuaries and consultants.
The position is based in Toronto, but you will be serving clients from across Aon’s impressive national and global client base. You will report to the Legal Consulting & Compliance Team leader for Central and West regions.
Our Legal Consulting & Compliance Team delivers billable client services, provides compliance training and support to colleagues in the Retirement Practice, and develops intellectual capital and marketing materials.
If you are thinking of leaving the law firm environment behind, look no further. We are a close-knit and collaborative group, looking for a team member who will help us continue to deliver high-caliber legal and compliance support and practical business solutions to our clients. Your practice will combine traditional legal work with opportunities to research and explore new areas, develop business, write and teach, and join cross-practice committees that are developing innovative Retirement products and services.
At Aon, you can use and develop your legal skills while also attaining a greater understanding of the Retirement industry and a greater involvement with our clients' business decisions and processes than is usually the case at a law firm.
This role will vary depending on the successful candidate’s background, strengths, and desired focus.
Your Impact As A Pension Compliance Specialist
▪ Advising clients and colleagues on legal and compliance matters, including participating in strategy and planning discussions for clients’ retirement programs
▪ Guiding clients through corporate changes that impact their plans
▪ Drafting and reviewing plan texts and amendments, board resolutions, member notices, regulatory applications, correspondence, and other documentation such as employee booklets
▪ Developing governance and administrative structures, policies and guidelines
▪ Researching matters involving pensions, but also tax, privacy, trusts, employment, human rights, acquisitions, etc., as they impact the services we provide to our clients
▪ Attending meetings, drafting memoranda, developing reports and presentations for existing and prospective clients
▪ Project management
▪ Developing intellectual capital and new business opportunities
▪ Assisting with the internal and external publications related to industry developments and consulting advice
▪ Presenting to internal and external audiences
▪ Training and mentoring
▪ Attending external and internal training sessions to build knowledge of industry topics and trends; and speaking at industry events and seminars (as desired)
You Bring Knowledge and Expertise
▪ Minimum of 5 years' relevant experience from call to the Bar or comparable experience in Pension Compliance
▪ Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to clearly communicate technical and complex legal concepts to both professional and lay audiences (French bilingual an asset)
▪ Experience in the pensions field (particularly with respect to pension and tax compliance and plan drafting; but knowledge of SIP&Ps, investments, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions is also desirable)
▪ A positive attitude, with strong leadership and team building skills
▪ Highly organized and ability to take initiative to work independently
▪ Ability to build strong relationships with internal and external clients
▪ Law degree (provincial Bar membership preferred)
▪ Individuals without a law degree who have relevant pension compliance experience in consulting or regulatory environment are also encouraged to apply
We offer you
A competitive total rewards package, continuing education & training, and tremendous potential with a growing worldwide organization.
Our Colleague Experience:
From helping clients gain access to capital after natural disasters, to creating access to health care and retirement for millions, Aon colleagues empower results for our clients, communities, and each other every day. They make a difference, work with the best, own their potential, and value one another. This is the Aon Colleague Experience, defining what it means to work at Aon and realizing our vision of empowering human and economic possibility. To learn more visit Aon Colleague Experience.
Aon plc (NYSE:AON) is a leading global professional services firm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions. Our 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries empower results for clients by using proprietary data and analytics to deliver insights that reduce volatility and improve performance.
By applying for a position with Aon, you understand that, should you be made an offer, it will be contingent on your undergoing and successfully completing a background check consistent with Aon's employment policies. Background checks may include some or all of the following based on the nature of the position: SSN/SIN validation, education verification, employment verification, and criminal check, search against global sanctions and government watch lists, fingerprint verification, credit check, and/or drug test. You will be notified during the hiring process which checks are required by the position.
Aon is committed to a diverse workforce as an Employment Equity employer (Women, People with Disabilities, Aboriginal Peoples, and Visible Minorities).
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.