Senior Public Sector Pensions Actuary
Aon are currently recruiting a Senior Public Sector Pensions Actuary to join our team. Based from one of our offices across the UK the Senior Public Sector Pensions Actuary will be primarily responsible for delivering services across a range of areas to LGPS administering authorities or other public sector clients. As well as being responsible for client delivery you will be expected to grow the breadth and depth of solutions Aon is able to offer its clients. This is a newly created additional Senior Consultant role for the public sector as the team and our revenue is growing rapidly.
Headquartered in London, Aon Plc is a leading global professional services firm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions. Our 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries empower results for clients by using proprietary data and analytics to deliver insights that reduce volatility and improve performance.
Aon is an equal opportunities employer. Aon's recruitment and selection policy ensures the best possible skill mix of colleagues and the highest quality candidates are appointed using objective job-related criteria.
The UK pensions landscape is evolving at a rapid pace. Economic challenges, legislative change, an ageing population and asset volatility pose a wide variety of risks and challenges to pension schemes. Trustees and scheme sponsors are faced with a range of decisions on difficult topics from managing risk to improving member engagement, setting an investment strategy to managing DC plans.
Aon Retirement Solutions’ market-leading capabilities and award-winning expertise make us the perfect partner to help clients through their pension challenges. We can provide integrated and comprehensive solutions across actuarial, plan administration, investment and insurance disciplines, enabling us to serve our clients' unique needs every step of the way.
About the Role
Your impact as a Senior Public Sector Pensions Actuary:
- a trusted advisor, with a high level of specialist knowledge in relation to all aspects of public sector pensions (particularly the LGPS) - from calculation and communication of scheme benefits, actuarial expertise in relation to funding, to the governance of the scheme;
- leading day-to-day relationships with certain clients (mainly LGPS administering authorities) with accountability for developing those relationships, e.g. through introducing additional services and ensuring client satisfaction levels are high;
- supporting the development of solutions for public sector clients including working with colleagues across different specialisms;
- directing/project managing large projects, ensuring deadlines and budgets are met and services are delivered to clients cost effectively, providing value for money
- working in partnership with clients, identifying solutions and better ways of working to help them deliver to their stakeholders;
- assisting with maintaining Aon's strong external networks within the public sector including government (e.g. MHCLG) or national bodies/organisations (e.g. LGE, CIPFA, P&SLA, SAB);
- responsibility for working in accordance with the Aon UK Limited Risk Management Framework, and compliance with the Aon UK Limited policies, including participation in the management of risks (including completion of mandatory training) that may adversely affect the business, interests or reputation of any Group Company;
The role would also offer the opportunity to attend events, such as national conferences and to develop relationships with prospective clients and be involved in new business.
Your knowledge and expertise:
- Qualified actuary, ideally with some post-qualification experience.
- Track record in ideally leading day-to-day client relationship and supporting Partners/Principals with larger clients.
- Proven expertise in relation to UK pensions with experience of projects extending beyond funding, e.g. governance advice, trivial commutation, member options, high earner calculations.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and comfortable in leading discussions with pensions managers and trustees.
- Self-motivating and ambitious.
- Able to encourage and develop other colleagues, and work well within diverse teams.
- Excellent client relationship and management skills, with the ability to multi task and respond to changing priorities.
- Live our values through being flexible, approachable, helpful and supportive of colleagues.
- A willingness to learn new skills and apply previous experience to public sector is a pre-requisite for this role.
Salary and Benefits
This role offers a competitive salary and bonus, plus a comprehensive benefits package and 25 days holiday. Through our flexible benefits, you will also have the opportunity to choose additional benefits, including healthcare and additional holiday. We also offer tremendous potential with a growing worldwide organisation.
Our Colleague Experience
Every day, our colleagues make a difference, work with the best, own their potential, and value one another. Together, we share this one purpose: to empower economic and human possibility around the world. This unifying goal is at the heart of our identity, and it lives in everything we do. To learn more about our colleague experience, visit Aon Colleague Experience.
We’re happy to talk flexible working. If you need to flex your working pattern, Aon offers flexible and agile working policies and we’re happy to discuss options with you upon application.