Senior Hedge Fund Portfolio Manager
Aon are currently recruiting a Senior Hedge Fund Portfolio Manager to join the Delegated Consulting Services (DCS) team in London. DCS, also more generically known as Fiduciary Management, is a service offering developed by Aon principally for defined benefit and defined contribution pension scheme clients, but also extends to other institutional clients. It is delivered via an FCA authorised asset management business within Aon. The Senior Hedge Fund Portfolio Manager will be primarily responsible for managing Aon’s two flagship EMEA fund of hedge fund portfolios with assets of £1.2bn. You will challenge our manager research team, select buy rated funds and size these appropriately to drive superior investment performance. You will also manage individual client portfolios in the context of the strategy agreed by the Investment Committee, harnessing the best ideas of Aon’s specialist investment teams.
Headquartered in London, Aon Plc is a leading global professional services firm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions. Our 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries empower results for clients by using proprietary data and analytics to deliver insights that reduce volatility and improve performance.
Aon is an equal opportunities employer. Aon's recruitment and selection policy ensures the best possible skill mix of colleagues and the highest quality candidates are appointed using objective job-related criteria.
The UK pensions landscape is evolving at a rapid pace. Economic challenges, legislative change, an ageing population and asset volatility pose a wide variety of risks and challenges to pension schemes. Trustees and scheme sponsors are faced with a range of decisions on difficult topics from managing risk to improving member engagement, setting an investment strategy to managing DC plans.
Aon Retirement Solutions’ market-leading capabilities and award-winning expertise make us the perfect partner to help clients through their pension challenges. We can provide integrated and comprehensive solutions across actuarial, plan administration, investment and insurance disciplines, enabling us to serve our clients' unique needs every step of the way.
The FCA's Senior Managers & Certification Regime (SM&CR) applies to Aon from December 2019 and this role is subject to the relevant requirements of the Regime. The primary aim of SM&CR is to drive individual accountability for all roles within the Financial Services Sector. Aon must ensure those in senior roles, with the potential to cause significant harm to customers and the business of the firm, are deemed to be fit and proper at all times and also to ensure everyone working in the sector adheres to a set of Conduct Rules and are held to account where they do not meet the right standards of behaviour.
About the Role
Your impact as a Senior Hedge Fund Portfolio Manager:
- Leading the management of hedge fund portfolios. You will be accountable for performance, manager removal and selection from Aon’s list of buy-rated managers, and manager allocation. Where you see any gaps in our research coverage, you can suggest new approaches and managers. You will oversee the currency, beta and options overlay that is implemented using a specialist provider. You will liaise closely with key stakeholders from specialist research teams (Manager Research, Asset Allocation and Risk) and the investment committees to ensure ideas are effectively captured in portfolios.
- You will present at new business pitches for hedge fund portfolios.
- Providing valued input into the decision making process across asset classes and liability hedging instruments, adding value for our clients against benchmarks.
- Becoming lead portfolio manager for selection of clients. Ensure house views are reflected in portfolios in a consistent and timely manner. Ensure compliance with mandates and restrictions.
- Monitoring portfolios on an on-going basis and keeping closely up to date with the underlying managers.
- Negotiating arrangements with sub-advisory fund managers.
- Performing trade planning and trade instructions in the order management systems.
- Working with the operations team to ensure changes to portfolios are executed on a timely basis.
- Owning and managing the transition of client portfolios into DCS, including the minimisation of investment risks and transition costs and working with third party transition managers.
- Providing support to product specialist colleagues concerning portfolio performance, manager changes etc. to inform client communications.
- Responsibility for working in accordance with the Aon UK Limited Risk Management Framework, and compliance with the Aon UK Limited policies, including participation in the management of risks (including completion of mandatory training) that may adversely affect the business, interests or reputation of any Group Company.
Your knowledge and expertise:
- As a DCS Senior Portfolio Manager, your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- knowledge and experience of Hedge Funds are essential;
- previous experience working in asset management, manager research, investment consultancy (or an allied industry) is essential;
- good understanding of all major asset classes, and of different pooled and segregated investment structures;
- an understanding of pension scheme liabilities and the key drivers (preferred);
- degree in a related discipline and an investment qualification (full CFA or Actuary preferred).
- What we're looking for in you:
- investment decision making ability;
- excellent numerical ability and analytical skills;
- strong client management skills;
- excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to build and maintain working relationships with both internal and external clients;
- strong ability to present succinct findings and necessary actions from complex monitoring work;
- ability to interpret and present complex information clearly;
- high attention to detail and accuracy;
- ability to work to tight deadlines.
- We think this role would suit:
- a senior investment consultant or manager researcher with strong knowledge of hedge funds who wishes to move into the fast growing fiduciary market;
- a fund manager/portfolio manager already working in asset management, ideally in a fund-of-fund environment, seeking to advance their knowledge of pensions and liability driven investments to go alongside existing broad multi-asset class experience, who is happy to work in a collegiate decision making process.
Salary and Benefits
This role offers a competitive salary and bonus, plus a comprehensive benefits package and 25 days holiday. Through our flexible benefits, you will also have the opportunity to choose additional benefits, including healthcare and additional holiday. We also offer tremendous potential with a growing worldwide organisation.
Our Colleague Experience
Every day, our colleagues make a difference, work with the best, own their potential, and value one another. Together, we share this one purpose: to empower economic and human possibility around the world. This unifying goal is at the heart of our identity, and it lives in everything we do. To learn more about our colleague experience, visit Aon Colleague Experience.
We’re happy to talk flexible working. If you need to flex your working pattern, Aon offers flexible and agile working policies and we’re happy to discuss options with you upon application.2472835