Senior Delegated Underwriter – Aviation
Aon are currently recruiting a Senior Delegated Underwriter to join our Aviation Underwriting team in Chelmsford. The Senior Delegated Underwriter will be primarily responsible for managing and leading a newly formed Aviation Structured Portfolio Solution.
Headquartered in London, Aon Plc is a leading global professional services firm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions. Our 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries empower results for clients by using proprietary data and analytics to deliver insights that reduce volatility and improve performance.
Aon is an equal opportunities employer. Aon's recruitment and selection policy ensures the best possible skill mix of colleagues and the highest quality candidates are appointed using objective job-related criteria.
About Aon Underwriting Managers
AUM undertakes underwriting and claims handling services on behalf of insurers and delivers expertise in specific product ranges or trade sectors. AUM focuses on commercial insurance products across Accident and Health, Property and Casualty, Financial Lines and Marine sectors. AUM fulfils many of the roles of an insurance company - underwrites (evaluates the risks and exposures of potential clients against the insurance covers), prices (determines the premium that is charged to ensure that risk), issues policies, mid-term adjustments and renewals and on some facilities, manages the claims handling and settlement.
AUM has an in-depth understanding of the diverse range of solutions that we offer, and our insurance products are specially designed and unique to Aon.
About the Role
Your impact as a Senior Delegated Underwriter – Aviation:
- Undertake overall responsibility of the underwriting process for the Aviation SPS (General Aviation, Personal Accident & Aerospace);
- Provide guidance and training on technical underwriting issues to any direct reports;
- Insuring that individual risks are bound promptly and in accordance with the delegated underwriting authority;
- Recording of risks on the Policy Administration System in an accurate and timely fashion;
- Meeting agreed service standard to bind risks and ensure that the relevant policies are accurate and issued within agreed timescales;
- Ensuring full compliance with the Delegated Authority from insurers;
- Building an excellent working relationship with the GBC teams;
- Building excellent working relationships with supporting insurers;
- Participate in regular insurer meetings to review progress of the facility;
- Work with Insurers to deliver the underwriting strategy, to understand Insurers’ risk appetite and expectations;
- Maintain a high level of technical knowledge and input into technical and commercial market intelligence;
- Monitor and control of new and renewal business, including aggregate monitoring;
- To act fully in compliance with FCA rules and guidelines and with Aon Policy;
- Take overall responsibility for meeting the teams financial budget/plan;
Responsibility for working in accordance with the Aon UK Limited Risk Management Framework, and compliance with the Aon UK Limited policies, including participation in the management of risks (including completion of mandatory training) that may adversely affect the business, interests or reputation of any Group Company.
Your knowledge and expertise:
Skills & Knowledge:
- Previous General Aviation experience in the London Insurance Market;
- Track record in technical Underwriting;
- Well-developed influencing skills and the ability to achieve success through others;
- Excellent problem-solving skills, analytical and numerical skills;
- proven interpersonal skills, capable of dealing with domestic and international clients, business stakeholders and external bodies;
- Commercial acumen and negotiation skills of the highest order;
- Strong track record of leading teams – able to motivate and inspire team to achieve success;
- Motivation, coaching and development of staff – proven track record in effective people management;
- Upholds and demonstrates leadership values;
- Well-developed knowledge of FCA requirements and standards;
- Enthusiastic team player with the ability to build and develop positive relationships and capable of negotiating reasons for change / plans to a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders;
- Able to establish and maintain relationships with brokers and carriers;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- High level of numeracy;
- IT skills: Microsoft Excel and Word;
- Accurate and timely throughput of work;
- Experience of working at BU leadership level, influencing and implementing change;
- In-depth knowledge and expertise in insurance/reinsurance broking;
- Proven track record in programme design and placement.
Salary and Benefits
This role offers a competitive salary and bonus, plus a comprehensive benefits package and 25 days holiday. Through our flexible benefits, you will also have the opportunity to choose additional benefits, including healthcare and additional holiday. We also offer tremendous potential with a growing worldwide organisation.
Our Colleague Experience
Every day, our colleagues make a difference, work with the best, own their potential, and value one another. Together, we share this one purpose: to empower economic and human possibility around the world. This unifying goal is at the heart of our identity, and it lives in everything we do. To learn more about our colleague experience, visit Aon Colleague Experience.
We’re happy to talk flexible working. If you need to flex your working pattern, Aon offers flexible and agile working policies and we’re happy to discuss options with you upon application.